Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...and those of us holding the mascara wand.

After two decades of covering the beauty industry, I've come to learn what makes it so alluring. Finding the perfect shade of makeup to match your skin tone, adding a swipe of eyeliner to give your tired eyes a lift, discovering an innovative new product line, or indulging in a totally luxurious spa treatment. My experiences have been documented in magazines, newspapers and websites worldwide. I've tested newly formulated products in the lab, explored hair removal options, shopped for lipstick, added shine to my hair and succumbed to massage marathons--all in the name of beauty. I've written press releases, hosted makeover events and co-authored a Do-It-Yourself Beauty book (Alloy). On this blog, I write about products and services that I come across every day as well as those that have been provided by publicists or the companies that make them. Either way, I write what I think. I hope to share some of my insights--and bring you the latest, greatest beauty news right here. Join me in the quest to find all things pretty.


Thursday, March 19, 2009

from hair to bare


OK, this is awkward. I'm standing naked in the bathroom with my legs covered in new Veet In-Shower Hair Removal Cream ($7.99). I have to wait one minute before entering the shower but no more than two minutes once I'm in there before washing it off. The bad news is, it smells like you'd think hair remover would smell (but it won't be as noticeable once you break open the aromatherapy shampoo). The good news is, I can condition my hair while I'm waiting. Of course, this requires a slightly difficult stance--trying to get my head under the water but keep my legs out of it so as not to wash the cream off too soon. Finally, it's time to come clean. I use the white textured side of the application sponge to wipe away the cream, which hopefully takes the hair along with it, then I rinse off any excess under the shower head. As I finish my cleansing routine, I have my doubts. I think about all the precautions listed on the outer package: Only use on legs, arms, underarms and bikini lines, don't use on irritated, sunburned or recently shaved skin, test for an allergic reaction beforehand, wipe cream off immediately if you feel any tingling, don't exceed six minutes of application time, among others. That's a lot to think about when all you want to do is take a nice, relaxing shower! But you can't be too cautious with these things. I towel dry and run my hands over my legs to experience the results. Smooth sailing! Overall, it was a pretty simple process and--luckily for those of us who just aren't always safe with a razor in hand--a fairly painless one. I can't wait to see how long it lasts. Get your own smooth at www.veet.us.

No comments:

Post a Comment