Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...and those of us holding the mascara wand.

After two decades of covering the beauty industry, I've come to learn what makes it so alluring. Finding the perfect shade of makeup to match your skin tone, adding a swipe of eyeliner to give your tired eyes a lift, discovering an innovative new product line, or indulging in a totally luxurious spa treatment. My experiences have been documented in magazines, newspapers and websites worldwide. I've tested newly formulated products in the lab, explored hair removal options, shopped for lipstick, added shine to my hair and succumbed to massage marathons--all in the name of beauty. I've written press releases, hosted makeover events and co-authored a Do-It-Yourself Beauty book (Alloy). On this blog, I write about products and services that I come across every day as well as those that have been provided by publicists or the companies that make them. Either way, I write what I think. I hope to share some of my insights--and bring you the latest, greatest beauty news right here. Join me in the quest to find all things pretty.


Tuesday, March 17, 2009

C for yourself


You can drink it if you want to (in orange juice or grapefruit juice)...or eat it in your fruits and vegetables (try potatoes and strawberries). But to ensure you're getting your standard daily recommended intake of 200 to 300 milligrams, why not smooth it on your skin too? Vitamin C has long been touted for its benefits--providing energy, strengthening the performance of the heart and reducing the risk of some forms of cancer. But it also protects skin from free radicals, helps collagen production and helps repair the visual effects of sun damage. And the newly launched Vitamin C Serum from Mario Badescu Skin Care ($45)--composed of ascorbic acid (which reduces discoloration and brightens skin), hyaluronic acid (which retains skin's natural moisture) and collagen (which improves skin's firmness and elasticity)--delivers. Since we can all probably use a little toning up, I decided to give it a try. As instructed, I applied three to four drops on my face every other night after my cleansing routine. It was lightweight and absorbed easily. The immediate result: softer, smoother skin. But firming and toning are a bit harder to detect. I mean, if I ask my friends if they notice anything different about me, they surely won't say my skin looks tighter! Still, I continued to follow my regimen and noticed my skin definitely looked better--more even-toned and definitely healthier overall. I have to admit: I was a bit hesitant to try it at first, as my sometimes sensitive skin doesn't always react well to acidic products. But this formula feels soothing and calming--maybe because of the aloe vera, cucumber and lavender thrown into the mix. Use it alone or follow with moisturizer and things will start looking up--even when the economy is down. Buy yours at www.mariobadescu.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment